The Atlantic Greyhound Bus Terminal, located at 109 Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard in Savannah (Chatham County), has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The nomination was sponsored by the property owners, and nomination materials were prepared by a consultant. The building was rehabilitated using federal and state tax incentives for rehabilitation, and now serves as “The Grey” restaurant.
The Atlantic Greyhound Bus Terminal is a rare local example of the Streamline Moderne style of architecture. The curvilinear façade of the building, which articulates the space of the original restaurant and lunch counter, features a long horizontal window, with stainless-steel framing that terminates at one end in the recessed main entrance, and at the other end in a half-circle. Besides the much larger W.S. Arrasmith-designed station in Atlanta, built in 1940 and demolished in 2007, the Savannah terminal is the only Greyhound station in Georgia to feature the company’s characteristic ivory-and-blue color scheme on the exterior. The interior of the building retains its floor plan and most of its terrazzo floors, concrete floors, Masonite walls, and plaster walls. The building is an exceptional design by nationally-regarded Greyhound Lines architect George D. Brown, and it retains a high degree of integrity.
The Atlantic Greyhound Bus Terminal served as the hub of inter-city bus traffic for the Savannah community from 1938 until 1965. The Atlantic Greyhound terminal first opened in 1938 and served the city with more than 75 arrivals and departures a day until 1965, when the Greyhound Corporation decided to build a new terminal on Oglethorpe Avenue.
The National Register of Historic Places is our country's official list of historic buildings, structures, sites, objects, and districts worthy of preservation. The National Register provides formal recognition of a property's architectural, historical, or archaeological significance. It also identifies historic properties for planning purposes, and insures that these properties will be considered in the planning of state or federally assisted projects. National Register listing encourages preservation of historic properties through public awareness, federal and state tax incentives, and grants. Listing in the National Register does not place obligations or restrictions on the use, treatment, transfer, or disposition of private property.
The Historic Preservation Division (HPD) of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources serves as Georgia’s state historic preservation office. Its mission is to promote the preservation and use of historic places for a better Georgia. HPD’s programs include archaeology protection and education, environmental review, grants, historic resource surveys, tax incentives, the National Register of Historic Places, community planning and technical assistance.
The mission of the Department of Natural Resources is to sustain, enhance, protect and conserve Georgia’s natural, historic and cultural resources for present and future generations, while recognizing the importance of promoting the development of commerce and industry that utilize sound environmental practices.