Eleven resources were newly added to the Georgia Register of Historic Places in February 2019. Nominations for these resources were approved during a February 22nd meeting of the Georgia National Register Review Board, which is charged with evaluating National Register nominations from Georgia prior to their submission to the National Park Service for National Register of Historic Places listing. As Georgia’s state historic preservation office (SHPO), the Historic Preservation Division (HPD) administers the National Register of Historic Places program in Georgia.
The newly-listed resources are:
Briarcliff Plaza, Atlanta, Fulton County – a two-building complex at the corner of Ponce de Leon and North Highland avenues, best known for its colorful neon signage. Briarcliff Plaza shopping center was constructed in 1940, and is the first automobile-oriented shopping center in Atlanta and Georgia that included dedicated off-street parking for its customers. The building is a rare example of the Streamline Moderne style of architecture in Atlanta.
Cherry Grove Baptist Church Schoolhouse, Washington, Wilkes County – a c.1910 small one-room, one-story, wood-framed building located on the property of Cherry Grove Baptist Church, about 4 miles north of Washington. The building was used as a school, with elementary grades taught by a single teacher, until the early 1950s. Cherry Grove Baptist Church Schoolhouse is significant as one of 15 identified, extant pre-Rosenwald, one-room schoolhouses for African-Americans built on church grounds within the state. It is an excellent example of a public school associated with a local church, and is a rare example of a vernacular one-room schoolhouse.
Collier-Perry-Bentley House, Atlanta, Fulton County – a c.1823 two-story I-house with end chimneys built by Meredith Collier, with a 19th century one-story, two-room wing to the northeast, and a large 1952 rear addition, located in northern Atlanta. The house is a rare, extant example of early development in what would become the city of Atlanta, and is one of the oldest documented houses within the current city limits. The house is a unique example of the work of Atlanta architect R. Kennon Perry, as his rehabilitation of the historic portions of the house is noteworthy as an early example of historic preservation in Atlanta. The house is also associated with James L. “Jimmy” Bentley, Jr., who was a significant Georgia political leader.
F.H. Ross & Company Laundry Warehouse, Atlanta, Fulton County – a one-story, flat-roofed building, constructed in 1949 as a warehouse and distribution center for the regional laundry supply company. The building’s horizontal form, rounded corner, planar facades, ribbon windows, smooth cast stone door and window surrounds, and overall lack of ornamentation make it a rare and representative example of the Streamline Moderne style in Atlanta.
First Presbyterian Church of Atlanta, Atlanta, Fulton County – a large, Late Gothic Revival-style building constructed in phases from 1915 to 1999 at the northwest corner of Peachtree and 16th streets. With its pointed arched windows, sandstone construction, and emphasis on verticality, the church serves as an excellent example of the Late Gothic Revival style and of the work of prolific Georgia architects Walter T. Downing, E.C. Wachendorff, and A. Ten Eyck Brown. The church also contains an exemplary collection of stained glass windows by master stained glass designers and studios: Louis C. Tiffany, Nicola D’Ascenzo, and Willet Studios.
Hotel Clermont, Atlanta, Fulton County – an eight-story Georgian Revival-style building fronting Ponce de Leon Avenue that was constructed as apartments in 1924, during a time of significant change in residential development patterns and standards in the city. The building was converted into a hotel in 1939. Since 1968, the building has gained notoriety as the home of the Clermont Lounge, the oldest running, and only documented historic, nightclub business in Atlanta.
Napier Heights Historic District, Macon, Bibb County – an approximately 227-acre residential area west of downtown Macon composed of several individually-platted subdivisions largely developed from the 1880s through the 1940s. The district’s subdivisions reflect the evolution of Georgia’s suburban neighborhoods from the streetcar suburb to the automobile suburb. Additionally, the district contains a collection of significant architectural residential types and styles commonly found in Georgia as well as a number of landmark buildings designed by prominent Macon architects.
Neuro-Psychiatric Infirmary – Building 76, Augusta, Richmond County – a two-story, Colonial Revival-style building on the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center campus. The H-shaped building, constructed in 1945, provided long-term care to patients with psychiatric problems and followed a standard design as specified for veterans’ facilities at the time. The hospital complex was developed as part of a larger mission to serve U.S. military veterans following World War I and is the only Second Generation, Sub-Type 1 (Neuro-psychiatric) veterans’ hospital in Georgia.
Neuro-Psychiatric Tuberculosis Ward – Building 7, Augusta, Richmond County – a one-story, Colonial Revival-style building on the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center campus. The long, low building, constructed in 1923, provided long-term care to tuberculosis patients with psychiatric problems and followed a standard design as specified for veterans’ facilities at the time. The hospital complex was developed as part of a larger mission to serve U.S. military veterans following World War I and is the only Second Generation, Sub-Type 1 (Neuro-psychiatric) veterans’ hospital in Georgia.
Westview Cemetery, Atlanta, Fulton County – a sprawling, 504-acre private cemetery established in west Atlanta in 1884. The cemetery contains numerous forms of decorative burial monuments (mausoleums, obelisks, headstones, and other markers) reflecting funerary traditions from the mid-nineteenth century to 1976, as well as the Spanish Plateresque-style Westview Abbey (1943), a Romanesque Revival-style gatehouse (1890), and several additional buildings and structures. It also exhibits two distinct cemetery design styles – lawn-park and memorial park, showing how the cemetery evolved over time to meet changing trends in landscape design.
- Whitehall Street Retail Historic District, Atlanta, Fulton County – a multi-block area centered on Peachtree Street and Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, located in downtown Atlanta. The district quickly developed into a commercial shopping corridor for the city, and had a continued role as a major retail area in the “Heart of Atlanta” over time. The district contains good examples of late 19th and early 20th century commercial building types and architectural styles, and is an example of a retail commercial district that has changed over time, yet still exhibits the scale of a pre-skyscraper, late-19th century commercial district in an American urban environment.
For photographs and additional information on these resources, click here.
The National Register of Historic Places is our nation’s official list of historic properties that are worthy of preservation. The National Register was established by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966 and is maintained by the U.S. Department of the Interior, National Park Service. Properties listed in the National Register include buildings, sites, structures, objects, and districts that are significant in American history, architecture, archaeology, engineering, and culture.
National Register-listed properties are distinguished by being documented and evaluated according to uniform standards called the National Register Criteria for Evaluation. To be eligible for listing in the National Register, generally, a property or majority of properties in a district must be 50 years old or older; retain historic integrity in location, design, setting, materials, workmanship, feeling, and association; and meet at least one of the National Register Criteria for Evaluation. The Georgia Register of Historic Places uses the same criteria and documentation procedures as the National Register of Historic Places.
Georgia and National Register of Historic Places listing does not place restrictions on the use, treatment, transfer, or disposition of private property.
Properties listed on the National Register are potentially eligible for state and/or federal tax incentives. Rehabilitation tax incentives are available to properties that meet the substantial rehabilitation test and meet the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation. State tax incentives can be applied to both income producing properties and primary residences and include a credit as well as a property tax freeze. Federal credits are available to income producing properties only. These incentives can help offset the cost of bringing historic properties back into a state of utility.
# # #
For more information contact Survey and National Register Program Manager, Stephanie Cherry-Farmer at 770-389-7843 and email@example.com.
For press inquiries contact Outreach Program Manager Allison Asbrock at 770-389-7868 and firstname.lastname@example.org