Additional documentation for the Brunswick Old Town Historic District was approved by the Keeper of the National Register of Historic Places on December 4, 2018.
The district is located in Brunswick (Glynn County) and is roughly bounded by First Avenue to the south, Bay and New Bay Streets to the west, H Street to the north, and Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard (formerly Cochran Street) to the east. The Brunswick Downtown Development Authority sponsored the nomination amendment, and the City of Brunswick prepared the nomination amendment materials.
Originally listed in the National Register on April 26, 1979, the Brunswick Old Town Historic District featured a period of significance of 1700 to 1926. The recently approved additional documentation updates portions of the original National Register form, in order to expand the period of significance of the historic district to 1967 to include buildings constructed between 1927 and 1967. No additional acreage is being added to the district.
The Brunswick Old Town Historic District as amended is significant in the area of community planning and development in that it is one of the only four Georgia towns laid out in the Colonial Period (Brunswick, Savannah, Sunbury, and Frederica) and one of only two (Brunswick and Savannah) that retain their original town plan. An outstanding collection of late 19th to mid-20th century residential, commercial, and public buildings that reflect design and construction traditions found throughout Georgia evidence the district’s significance in the area of architecture. The majority of these buildings retain substantial integrity. Infill development during the early to mid-20th century provides excellent examples of that period’s architecture and helps illustrate the history of downtown Brunswick during the ebbs and flows of commercial and industrial prominence during the 20th century, particularly during World War I and World War II, and as that prominence declined due to suburban development and decentralization. Significance in the area of landscape architecture is evidenced by the squares dating to the original town plan. The extant squares have evolved during the historic period, primarily via alteration to accommodate streets, reflecting the evolution of Brunswick’s town plan over time. Brunswick’s significance in the areas of transportation and industry dates to the 18th century – declared one of the five original ports of entry to the fledgling United States by George Washington in 1789, the district’s extant resources reflect the significance of Brunswick as a center of Georgia manufacturing and distribution throughout the 19th and 20th centuries.
The National Register of Historic Places is our country's official list of historic buildings, structures, sites, objects, and districts worthy of preservation. The National Register provides formal recognition of a property's architectural, historical, or archaeological significance. It also identifies historic properties for planning purposes, and insures that these properties will be considered in the planning of state or federally assisted projects. National Register listing encourages preservation of historic properties through public awareness, federal and state tax incentives, and grants. Listing in the National Register does not place obligations or restrictions on the use, treatment, transfer, or disposition of private property.
# # #
For more information contact National Register and Survey Program Manager Stephanie Cherry-Farmer at 770-389-7843 and firstname.lastname@example.org.
For press inquiries contact Historic Preservation Division Outreach Program Manager Allison Asbrock at 770-389-7868 and email@example.com