Individuals and communities across Georgia can utilize local Historic Preservation Ordinances , Certified Local Governments  and other HPD programs, services and tools, to integrate historic preservation into community planning , economic development , heritage tourism  and other important aspects that can make their community a unique place to live, work and play.
State agencies & organizations
In addition to the programs and services offered by HPD, other organizations offering community assistance are linked below.
- Center for Community Design and Preservation , College of Environment and Design, University of Georgia - The CCDP office contracts with governmental agencies, non-profit organizations, civic groups and other funding sources to carry out projects, conduct research, provide training and deliver administrative services. The CCDP office at CED produces community-based results to meet the goals of students, citizens, elected officials, local decision makers, and UGA faculty.
- The Georgia Municipal Association is a nonprofit membership organization that provides legislative advocacy and technical consulting services while increasing public awareness of critical local government issues.
- The Association County Commissioners of Georgia  promotes the ability of Georgia counties to provide public services responsibly, efficiently and cost effectively through cooperative legislative action, education of public officials, provision of quality member services and technical assistance, and increasing public awareness of critical local government issues.
- The Department of Community Affairs (DCA) Office of Downtown Development manages the Main Street and Better Hometown programs in Georgia, which include over 100 communities. HPD routinely partners with DCA on training and educational opportunities.
Local preservation nonprofit groups
These membership-based organizations identify and document significant historic resources in their communities, educate the general public about the importance of these resources and historic preservation, advocate for preservation, and promote a community-wide understanding of the value of historic buildings, neighborhoods, and heritage.
- Read the Community Preservation article on the New Georgia Encyclopedia website.
The Georgia Trust for Historic Preservation 
Arabia Mountain Heritage Area Alliance 
Atlanta Preservation Center 
Buckhead Heritage Society 
Cherokee County Historical Society 
Cobb Landmarks & Historical Society 
DeKalb History Center 
Heritage Sandy Springs 
Vinings Historic Preservation Society 
Preservation Woodstock, Inc. 
Coastal Georgia Historical Society 
Coastal Heritage Society 
Historic Savannah Foundation 
Athens-Clarke Heritage Foundation, Inc.
Historic Augusta Foundation 
Historic Columbus Foundation 
Griffin-Spalding Historical Society 
Historic Macon Foundation 
Madison-Morgan Conservancy 
Newnan-Coweta Historical Society 
Thomasville Landmarks, Inc. 
* If you do not see your local preservation group, please contact Public Affairs Coordinator Jeff Harrison by email  or phone (770-389-7869).