The Edgar A. Weil House, located on Tybee Island (Chatham County), has been listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The nomination was sponsored by the property owners, and nomination materials were prepared by a consultant. The house was rehabilitated using federal and state tax incentives for rehabilitation, which are administered by the National Park Service and the Historic Preservation Division, Georgia Department of Natural Resources. The privately-owned property is not open to the public.
The Weil house, built in 1926, is a good and intact example of a cross-gabled bungalow with wide, overhanging boxed eaves and a traditional cornice return. The house’s irregular floor plan, overall rectangular shape, low-pitched roof with wide overhangs, and integral use of porches are indicative of its type. Original and historic materials include gypsum board walls and ceilings with panel strips that cover seams and nails; hardwood floors; simple wooden baseboards, door frames, and window surrounds; functioning transom lights above several interior doors; original hardware and cut-glass knobs on two-panel doors; exterior and interior French doors; and decorative herringbone-pattern brickwork on the chimney in the living room. The house retains a high degree integrity, on both the interior and exterior.
The house is an early example of the next phase of development on the island following completion of Tybee Road. The “smooth beautiful highway,” as it is referred to in marketing brochures from the Tybee Hotel and Improvement Company in 1926, connected Tybee “not only with Savannah, but with the entire Southeast, by reason of its million dollar paved automobile highway.” Tybee Road was completed in 1923, and at that time, the Tybee Hotel and Improvement Company began to market the island’s improved accessibility, growing list of amenities, and its potential for year-round housing. The Edgar A. Weil House, while used as a vacation home for much of its history, was built in a style typical of mainland houses found throughout Georgia. This was a drastic deviation from the hotels, boarding houses, and raised cottages typically built during the early phases of Tybee Island’s resort development, and marked a change in perception of the island from a purely recreational destination to a potential location for full-time residence.
The National Register of Historic Places is our country's official list of historic buildings, structures, sites, objects, and districts worthy of preservation. The National Register provides formal recognition of a property's architectural, historical, or archaeological significance. It also identifies historic properties for planning purposes, and insures that these properties will be considered in the planning of state or federally assisted projects. National Register listing encourages preservation of historic properties through public awareness, federal and state tax incentives, and grants. Listing in the National Register does not place obligations or restrictions on the use, treatment, transfer, or disposition of private property.
The Historic Preservation Division (HPD) of the Georgia Department of Natural Resources serves as Georgia’s state historic preservation office. Its mission is to promote the preservation and use of historic places for a better Georgia. HPD’s programs include archaeology protection and education, environmental review, grants, historic resource surveys, tax incentives, the National Register of Historic Places, community planning and technical assistance.
The mission of the Department of Natural Resources is to sustain, enhance, protect and conserve Georgia’s natural, historic and cultural resources for present and future generations, while recognizing the importance of promoting the development of commerce and industry that utilize sound environmental practices.
For press inquiries contact Historic Preservation Division Public Affairs Coordinator Jeff Harrison (770) 389-7869 or email@example.com