Other Grant programs/projects
In 2011, HPD has partnered with the Georgia Department of Economic Development and the Fox Theatre Institute to offer a new, one-time grant program for historic theaters. The purpose of this grant program is to assist local communities in promoting their historic theaters through heritage tourism. Heritage tourism is a visitor encounter with the local customs, traditions, arts, history, sites, and culture that authentically represent a particular place. Eligible projects included research and documentation; interpretation and public information; advertising and marketing; workshops and training; special events; and signage. Bricks and mortar projects were not eligible for this program. The reimbursable grant funds are 50% state/50% local match and were awarded on a competitive basis.
The five projects began in July 2011 and were completed in September 2012:
• The Statesboro Arts Council--$2,500 for a puppet show history of Bulloch County at the Averitt Center for the Arts
• The President Theatre, Inc.--$2,000 for a brochure, signage and marketing to promote the theater.
• The City of Toccoa--$2,960 to produce a historic structure report for the Schaefer Center (formerly the Ritz Theater).
• The Springer Opera House Arts Association, Inc.--$1,715 to produce a brochure for the opera house.
• The Washington Little Theater, Inc.--$825 to produce a promotional brochure and upgrade the theater’s website. .
Previous heritage tourism grants administered by HPD:
- Preserve America grant for Georgia's Community Landmarks - August 2009
- Historic Cemetery Heritage Tourism grants - May 2009, October 2008
- Preserve America grant for Cemetery Preservation - March 2008, January 2007
Who to contact...
Allison Asbrock, Outreach Program Manager
email@example.com, or 770-389-7868